10 Process Tips for Wrap Shops
These tips are based on the Business Boot Camp for Wrap Professionals by Avery Dennison presentation given by Justin Pate (Amsterdam) and John Duever (Vinyl Images; Fenton, MO) at the 2019 ISA Sign Expo.
- Give all your installers stop watches. Have them time each panel they do, and take the average. Use it to schedule and monitor it on a regular basis.
- Sales reps and designers must understand the installation process.
- Design efficiency helps print, production and installation.
- Design tip: Tiling vertically versus horizontally can reduce install time by up to 50%.
- Cleanliness matters. A clean shop can operate at maximum capacity; a dirty one cannot.
- Make sure ownership of artwork is clear. Who gets the art if the client wants to kill the project? (Hint: If you made it, you should own it.)
- Things happen. Give loyal customers a break for extraordinary circumstances. (“I got you this time.”) Just don’t overuse it!
- Make sure your design department has the right files, or is getting permission for custom work. If your designer doesn’t have a logo and a vector file, they’ll often just create them, which wastes time.
- If the phone rings three times, have whoever’s closest pick it up. Smile before you answer, and teach your whole crew your standard greeting.
- Track your errors down to the minute detail so you know when to replace equipment — and people.
For a full recap of the 2019 ISA Sign Expo, click here.
Enhance your Signs of the Times reading experience by exploring our interactive digital edition. Receive it in your inbox by subscribing online.