The Society for Experiential Graphic Design (SEGD, Washington) recently hosted a daylong conference to help designers and signmakers elevate the experiences created by their designs. Why? Because consumers are tired of the expected and are seeking out an experience rather than a hard-sell. And experiential designers need sign companies to help with logistics on complex projects: “The minute we know we might get a project, we’re talking to fabricators,” said speaker Nathan Hill, partner and design lead, SpaethHill (Alexandria, VA).
- Complement the architecture; don’t combat it.
- Purposefully integrate a mixture of media (Joe Lawton, director of media + marketing; Media-Objectives, Chicago).
- Think about the value that designed spaces bring qualitatively and quantitatively. When they have both, check social media – people will be posting about it (#adobelife, Lacey Engelke, workplace experience designer, Adobe Design, San Francisco).
- A notable chunk of the population (8% of men and 0.5% of women per the National Institutes of Health) is colorblind. Use secondary letterforms and numbers in wayfinding signage, or try an alphabetical system.
- Consider making the graphic a structure itself, rather than applying it to a structure (Braulio Baptista, partner, ZGF, Los Angeles).
- Design it as if you don’t have any budget constraints first to avoid stifling creativity. Separate it internally – let one person look at budget, another at design. Consider cheaper materials.
- Budget an extra 20% for change orders and contingency fees and allow for some cushion in your budget.
Mactac IMAGin RoughRAP
Make your next rough wall application easy & cost-effective with IMAGin RoughRAP and PERMACOLOR RAYZor LF3638G duo.
Daktronics Adds Kevin Szamlewski as Midwest Sales Rep
Potential Signmakers Get a Taste of the Industry on 2021 Sign Manufacturing Day
UPS Marketing Chief Kevin Warren to Be Keynote Speaker for 2022 EFI Connect Conference
City Mayor “Mortified” by New Store Sign in Historical District
The Client Got Cocky, Then Crawled Back with a Mouthful of Crow
52% of Signshops Charge for Design Even When the Sign Isn’t Ordered – Your Peers Explain How and Why
News7 days ago
Signshop Combats “Internet Pricing” with New Equipment
Dale Salamacha7 days ago
3-Year Sign Project for Luxury Hotel Nears the Finish Line
News4 days ago
5 Points to Remember When Selling Neon Signs
Inbox1 week ago
Sign Pro Offers Customers a Blunt Education, and More Reader Thoughts from Our October Issue
Editor's Note7 days ago
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
News2 weeks ago
Man Pleads Guilty to Defrauding Sign Manufacturer of $330,000
Inks1 week ago
NUtec Diamond D10-ESM
Sign Blanks + Components2 weeks ago
Mactac Sustainable Film Products